The LongTREC research programme is timely and highly innovative as it develops new methodologies in order to foster a new era of transcriptome research that is sustained by the power of third generation sequencing platforms. The research proposal is inspired by the combination of multiple methods and disciplines. Molecular biology, genetics, data science, statistics and bioinformatics are brought together to consolidate lrRNA-seq for a broad set of applications. All these components are extensively covered by the LongTREC doctoral training programme, which includes modules in genomic technologies, statistical sciences, and software development.
Our training programme has been designed to deliver both the human and educational resources required to boost long-read sequencing as the new paradigm for transcriptomic studies of cell biology. The fundamental concepts of LongTREC training are:
- Comprehensive training on the Science of LRS, professiona Skills and societal Values (SSV) which will help DCs become successful scientists and transforming leaders. We articulate training through Research and Courses offered by world-leaders in the SSV fields.
- Scientific training will include all basic aspects of transcriptome analysis using LRS: library preparation, omics technologies and data properties; data management, curation and sharing guided by FAIR principles; algorithms, statistics, programming, provided at courses; and application of lrRNA-seq to a diversity of biomedical and biotech scenarios.
- Further training will include broader applications of TGS technologies in genomics, guaranteeing that specialization is not at odds with obtaining broader knowledge of the field.
- LongTREC supervisors are EU leaders in the development of tools for lrRNA-seq data analysis and, more importantly, they will give DCs access to a worldwide network of scientists who perform groundbreaking work on LRS.
- We will make sure that all DCs perform at least one intersectorial and one international secondment to guarantee exposure to sufficiently diverse scientific and cultural experiences (see the participating organisations).
- We will generate high-quality, open access lrRNA-seq educational resources. These will be used within and outside LongTREC to increase the amount of lrRNA-seq training available world-wide.